I always get really hungry just before dinner, and often I make the mistake of googling recipes (mistake because it makes me even hungrier, tempting before-dinner snacking.)-not good! But last night I put my googling to good use and searched for a recipe to try for breakfast. I was never a cereal, oatmeal, or egg person, so any alternative is a cheery welcome! Enter, the berry smoothie!
Yesterday, I found a large bag of mixed berries in the freezer. Thank you, mom! Next time, however, I'll plan to strain out the seeds! Otherwise, this turned out to by a yummy, cold, breakfast treat. As good as dessert, but also good for you!
Mixed Berry Smoothie
Ingredients:
-2/3 c. mixed frozen berries (ex. strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries)
-1/2 c. orange juice (or skim milk)
-1 banana, broken into pieces
-4 oz. low-fat yogurt (I used Activia, strawberry flavored)
-1-2 drops vanilla, to taste
-1/2 tsp. honey, to taste
Place all ingredients in a blender and mix all ingredients. Adjust ingredients to suit your tastes (such as more liquid if mixture is too thick, etc.). Pour into a glass, and enjoy!
Makes about 2 cups (or one large glass, as pictured above).
I also suggest, as I failed to do, to strain to get rid of the seeds.
I can't have caffeine (I can hear the gasps and sympathetic moans now); doctor's orders. That includes (eek!) chocolate. For those of you who are finding yourself in a painfully similar boat, I plan to post more recipes like this: alternatives to chocolate desserts.
No comments:
Post a Comment