The original recipe is found here, while below is what I used to make my own version.
Diet Soda Red Velvet Cake
1 box dry cake mix, Red Velvet flavored
1 can diet Pepsi
2 egg whites
Preheat oven according to directions. Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray; dust lightly with flour.
Mix all the ingredients together in an electric mixer. Pour into pan.
Bake as directed. Let cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese frosting:
1 8oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar (I found it was a little too sweet for my taste, so you may want to reduce this to 2/3 cup or even 1/2 cup instead)
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix all three ingredients together in an electric mixer until smooth. Spread evenly on top of cooled cake.
Makes about 12 servings.
The frosting is so sweet, you'll only need a small slice. On Skinnytaste I read a variety of other combinations of cake mixes and diet sodas. I also saw an idea to use a spice cake mix and canned pumpkin in place of the diet soda, plus a little cinnamon and nutmeg for added flavor. Since I love pumpkin, I plan to give that a try as well!
The best part was when my little brothers ate it and said, "yum!" Yes! Success!
No comments:
Post a Comment