05 March, 2011

Pumpkin Muffins


A can of pumpkin has been sitting in the cabinet for a couple months now, tempting me every time I open the cabinet doors. I love baking with pumpkin (especially in the fall!). A couple days ago, I ran across a recipe for apple pumpkin muffins. While I didn't end up using apple, I did make muffins with pumpkin this morning, baked just in time for my sister to grab a warm one before rushing off to work.

Pumpkin Muffins

Ingredients

  • 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
Directions:
  • In a bowl, combine the first four ingredients. In a bowl, beat the eggs and sugar; add the pumpkin and oil and mix well. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the cranberries.
  • Fill foil-or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.

The recipe is originally from here. I took out the cranberries and used 1 1/4 cup wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose white. I also reduced the sugar and oil by just a tad (i.e. didn't use the full scoop). Next time, when I have it, I'll use applesauce and cut the oil in half.
All in all, they turned out great, and the family loved them.

No comments:

Post a Comment